NRL star Jarryd Hayne relentlessly denies rape claim

Whilst undergoing his temporary stretch with the San Francisco 49ers, Jarryd Hayne allegedly sexually assaulted an American woman. The claims made by ‘Ms V’ were later rejected by the District Attorney’s office on the basis of insufficient evidence.

Hayne has strongly denied the allegations, however the woman is persistently demanding a jury trial to compensate for the severe emotional distress she supposedly experienced. The claims relate to negligence, sexual battery, violence and intentional emotional harm.

The plaintiff

‘Ms V’ was raised in the Santa Clara County, where the suit was filed in 2016. The woman is said to have attended part of a 49ers game on the afternoon of the 21st of December, 2015, before attending multiple venues and becoming notably impacted by the effects of alcohol.

Through an acquaintance of Hayne, the footballer eventually landed at the same bar as the plaintiff. Ms V and Hayne then allegedly shared an Uber to the athlete’s house, where the incident is said to take place.

While Ms V does not directly recall Hayne as the perpetrator of the crime, she explains that the man had the build of the Defendant. After being physically turned away from the man, the plaintiff allegedly experienced significant pain. In the morning, the woman woke naked in the same bed, with severe pain persisting.

According to the documents, the woman was a virgin at the time of the event and later sought medical treatment due to the damage of the crime. The woman explained that she delayed reporting the incident for some time, due to fear and embarrassment.

In a police interview, the plaintiff’s friend later reported that she had never seen Ms V in such a state, clearly severely affected by the alcohol consumed. Hayne eventually admitted to the plaintiff that they had shared consensual sexual activity, according to the documents.

The defendant

The San Jose Police Department received the rape report in May 2016. Interestingly, the statement was given around the same time as Hayne’s unexpected announcement of his retreat from the US NFL scene.

The footballer’s reasoning for the sudden exit was to pursue a place on Fiji’s rugby side, with the Olympics fast approaching, however Hayne was ultimately unsuccessful in this career attempt.

Regardless, there is no evidence tying Hayne’s withdrawal to the police investigation. The NRL has publicised that Hayne is free to continue playing, as he makes his return to the Parramatta Eels.

The NRL has noted the cases dismissal by the US police and supports the player’s story, however they have also committed to continue reviewing any progressions made.

The civil case has conjured notable media attention, however Hayne remains confident with his stance. The footballer has cooperated with the District Attorney, providing all necessary assistance for the investigation.

While the complaints will continue to be monitored, insufficient evidence to substantiate the claims means Hayne is currently free of any legal charges.

Zac Fyffe
Zac Fyffe
Passionate about writing and sharing my experiences with others. Zac has a keen interest in sport and politics in particular. Contact: [email protected]
Share this