Finding good lawyers when you’re dealing with family matters is often tough. A family lawyer becomes a critical part of your life when you’re dealing with issues like estate disputes, divorces and custody battles among others.
Once you decide to hire a family lawyer, you’ll need them to have certain qualities to make your difficult situation as smooth as possible. The best family lawyers share these qualities – look for them.
Sympathetic To Your Situation
Your situation may not be particularly unique to a lawyer, but it’s important that they are sympathetic and understanding instead of just treating you like another case. In many instances, you may want to pour your heart out to someone who is privy to your situation without being directly related to it.
Here’s how a lawyer is sympathetic to your situation:
- Acts as a sounding board when you need to let out certain frustrations.
- Recommends effective solutions, which may not always be in agreement with you.
- Offers professional advice based on expertise without losing sight of your situation.
A good lawyer will personalise his or her services to suit your particular needs when it comes to family law, so you not only feel like you’re getting your money’s worth, but you’re also assured of good service at every step.
Knowledgeable In Several Aspects Of The Law
The best family lawyers need to have knowledge of several aspects of the law because any dispute can touch upon multiple areas. This may include elements of:
- Criminal law
- Civil law
- Divorce law
- Bankruptcy law
- Domestic violence law
- Property and tax law
An experienced family lawyer may even choose to seek advice from other lawyers in certain situations to help present the best case on your behalf. The lawyer may also need to liaise with other professionals you’re engaged with, such as accountants, lenders and financial planners, to come up with certain strategies related to your case.
Ability To Answer Your Questions Without Any Difficulty
Before you decide to hire a family lawyer, you’ll want to consider asking them a set of questions. The best family lawyers will appreciate your diligence and will be able to answer your questions without any difficulty. Here are some questions to ask:
- How long have you been in the business of family law?
- How do you approach every case?
- What’s your case settlement percentage?
- What information do you need to make sure the case works in my favour?
- How does your retainer fees work?
- What kind of references of past work can you provide?
- Who in the firm will be assigned to work on my case?
- How often will you communicate me about my situation?
The more questions the lawyers are able to answer, the more confident you can be in their competence. In some instances, there are no right or wrong answers. You simply want reassurance that the lawyer is putting your best interests at the forefront of everything they do in matters related to your case.
Good Communicator On A Personal And Professional Level
Some lawyers are great at what they do, but are unable to communicate well and can make some clients feel dissatisfied. When you’re going through a tough family situation, you’ll ideally want someone you can communicate with well on a personal and professional level. This doesn’t mean that you need to be best friends. It simply means that the lawyer has intimate details and can offer honest advice for your situation. Here’s what you need to consider:
- Can the lawyer discuss your situation with you on a professional and personal level?
- Are you getting sound advice that works in your best interest?
- Can the lawyer work effectively as your mouthpiece in court?
- Does the attorney understand your situation well?
- Have you been asked enough questions about your situation?
When researching family lawyers, make sure you consider these factors; so that you end up choosing someone you can communicate effectively with. Good communication between you and your family lawyer will put you more at ease with your difficult situation.
Hiring the best family lawyer is often tricky and long drawn without the right guidance. Consider your choices carefully, so that you make the best decision for your particular needs.
This article is a private opinion based on private research and it shouldn’t be considered as advice.