Washing machines, like other household appliances, have made life easier for most people. You don’t have to worry about wasting time washing your clothes by hand. A washing machine easily ensures your clothes are cleaned without you having to put any effort into it.
But if it isn’t maintained well, then it likely won’t turn on and there’s nothing more frustrating than that when you have no clean clothes to spare. Several common washing machine problems can occur, ranging from too much dishes to water covering the floor. Quick action can stop a small problem from turning into something bigger. Here are some possible problems that could occur in your washing machine.
Washing Machine Fails To Turn On
The washing machine could fail to turn on for a variety of reasons, so make sure you check for the following before you call a professional to have a look at it.
- Check to see that the power is on.
- Ensure the washing machine is plugged into the power socket.
- Look for the possibility of a tripped circuit breaker or a blown fuse.
- Check to see whether the door is properly closed because the machine won’t start otherwise.
- Check for a fault with the on/off switch.
Some problems can be fixed by simply ensuring that the power is on or that the machine is properly plugged into the power socket. If none of these reasons are a problem, call a professional to have a look at your washing machine.
Washing Machine Door Causes Trouble
Front load washers frequently develop leakage around the door seal as debris from soiled clothes collect in this area. Here are some issues that will arise:
- Debris collection will cause the door to stay tightly locked.
- Water will leak through the door.
- Door fails to close.
You may need to get a professional to inspect the washing machine door, and may need to replace the seal around it if it is beyond repair.
Foreign Objects Get Lodged In The Washing Machine
Sometimes foreign objects can get lodged in the washing machine, which could result in problems. Here are some things that could go wrong:
- If you have a top loader, items such as pens and coins can get wedged been the tub and the basket. Opening the lid and removing these items can solve this problem.
- In a front loader, things can get a bit more complicated as the front loader doors lock during the cycle. Once you’ve started the cycle, the door will remain closed till the cycle is over requiring you to stop the machine before you can remove anything.
Failure to remove these foreign objects will result in your washing machine breaking down completely over time.
Washing Machine Vibrates Abnormally
An abnormally vibrating washing machine is a surefire sign something is wrong with your washing machine. Some of the reasons why a washing machine vibrates abnormally include:
- Poor Balance: In case the floor is not smooth and your machine doesn’t have adjustable screws, then it can vibrate violently. Simply buy a stand with adjustable screws and place the washing machine on it.
- Uneven Distribution Of Clothes: In case the surface is horizontal and vibrations persist, make sure the clothes are distributed evenly in the tub before washing them.
Appearance Of A Leak
If you notice your washing machine leaking, it could be a basic problem like excess detergent or something more serious.
Follow these steps to check your washing machine:
- Reduce the amount of detergent you use to get rid of excessive soap build up, which could make it appear as if you have a leak.
- Check that the drainpipe is lodged accurately and hasn’t been dislodged from the washing machine.
- Check that the door is closing properly.
If the problem is excess detergent, then you can easily solve it. If not, call a professional to get the problem fixed as quickly as possible.
Failure To Drain Properly
Most often, a clogged hose causes a drain problem for your washing machine.
Perform the following actions:
- Remove the hose from the washing machine and inspect for clogs.
- Use a garden hose or any water spray to remove stubborn blockages from the hose.
- Wash down with baking soda and vinegar to remove any existing debris along the inner wall of the drain hose.
Washing machines are important to make your day-to-day life easier, so if you notice any of these problems, make sure you call a professional to get it fixed before they become bigger.
Executive Editor at Best in Australia. Mike has spent over a decade covering news related to business leaders and entrepreneurs around Australia and across the world.