Oprah Winfrey refutes claims she advised Meghan Markle & Prince Harry

Oprah Winfrey refutes claims she advised Meghan Markle & Prince Harry
Photo: Instagram | @oprah

Oprah Winfrey disproved recent reports claiming she had something to do with Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s decision to exit the British royal family.

News broke that the iconic television personality advised the Duke and Duchess of Sussex to separate themselves from the British monarchy. Page Six first reported the article on Thursday. Now, Winfrey herself has released a statement denouncing her involvement in the Duke and Duchess’ shocking announcement.

Speaking to Entertainment Tonight, the multihyphenate said:

“Meghan and Harry do not need my help in figuring out what’s best for them. I care about them both and support whatever decisions they make for their family.”

Winfrey is known to be a close friend of Meghan and Harry over the years. The tv executive attended their royal wedding back in 2018. She is currently working with the Duke of Sussex in creating a series for Apple TV+ that addresses mental health and is expected to premiere later this year.

The prominent talk show host has previously shown support for Markle’s bold choices that seemingly go against conventional royal traditions.

“Oh my God! I’m so proud of her decisions,” told ET back in 2019.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex made announced their decision to step back from their duties as senior members of the British royal family in an Instagram post. They revealed that they intend to “work to become financially independent while continuing to fully support Her Majesty the Queen.” See their full statement about the matter in the Instagram post below:

View this post on Instagram

“After many months of reflection and internal discussions, we have chosen to make a transition this year in starting to carve out a progressive new role within this institution. We intend to step back as ‘senior’ members of the Royal Family and work to become financially independent, while continuing to fully support Her Majesty The Queen. It is with your encouragement, particularly over the last few years, that we feel prepared to make this adjustment. We now plan to balance our time between the United Kingdom and North America, continuing to honour our duty to The Queen, the Commonwealth, and our patronages. This geographic balance will enable us to raise our son with an appreciation for the royal tradition into which he was born, while also providing our family with the space to focus on the next chapter, including the launch of our new charitable entity. We look forward to sharing the full details of this exciting next step in due course, as we continue to collaborate with Her Majesty The Queen, The Prince of Wales, The Duke of Cambridge and all relevant parties. Until then, please accept our deepest thanks for your continued support.” – The Duke and Duchess of Sussex For more information, please visit sussexroyal.com (link in bio) Image © PA

A post shared by The Duke and Duchess of Sussex (@sussexroyal) on

What do you think about it?