All type of flooring will require some TLC sooner or later. This is particularly true with regards to decorative concrete flooring which needs to be properly maintained to keep a perfectly flat and shiny surface.
Decorative concrete surfaces make for some of the most stunning and durable flooring options available to home and business owners. They add a real ‘wow’ factor to any space they are included in, exuding a sense of luxury and refinement.
Naturally, you’ll want to do your best to maintain the practical function and aesthetic appeal of your polished concrete floor.
A concrete surface is normally considered much easier to maintain than other types of flooring, such as hardwood or carpet, however you still need to be vigilant against wear. The amount of maintenance your concrete surface requires will correlate directly to how much it is used.
A concrete surface can be easily treated and kept in perfect condition using professional concrete care products, like those provided by Con-Treat. Let’s look at some general maintenance tips for your concrete floor.
- During the design of the surface, make sure to account for saw cut patterns that create narrow grooves where dirt can become trapped.
- In an area of heavy traffic, place down floor mats or rugs that will help reduce the amount of dirt and debris that ends up on the surface.
- Clean up any spills as soon as they occur so that they don’t get absorbed and create a tough to remove stain.
- Clean up muddy paw prints and pet waste as soon as you see it.
- Only use recommended cleaning solutions and avoid those that are not pH-neutral.
- Use microfiber pads for both damp and dry mopping.
- Follow the recommended care plan from your contractor.
How to clean a polished concrete floor
Polished concrete floors are highly durable because of the densification that occurs during the polishing process. Because they don’t require any concrete sealers or waxes, polished concrete surfaces are going to be easier to maintain for longer periods. If you follow this basic routine, your polished concrete surface will look magnificent for years and years:
- Remove dirt and other debris by regularly dry mopping.
- Use a pH-neutral cleaner or special polished concrete products to damp mop the surface. These solutions work not only to clean the floor but leave behind a special film that’s resistant to dirt build-up. No buffing is required, and they can all be applied with a mop.
- When the surface begins to lose its shine, use a commercial polishing compound to buff the entire surface. If further work is necessary, a fine-grit abrasive can be used to lightly re-polish the floor.
As our Managing Content Editor, James works hard to ensure that our readership gets a variety of engaging and accurate content every day. No matter what the subject matter is, he is eager to tackle the issue head on and give readers the information they desire. Having graduated with a Bachelor of Communications, James is well-equipped to cover today’s most relevant topics. On Best in Australia, James writes about a wide variety of topics, but is primarily responsible for authoring our politics section.