Almost every homeowner who actively uses carpets on the floor of his house is familiar with the situation when carpets have creases for any reason. If such a fold occurs on the carpet, it is rather difficult to give it its original appearance and make it lie flat on the surface. Today we will talk about ways to solve this pressing problem.
Causes of creases on the carpet:
- Long-term storage of the folded carpet,
- Careless transportation of the product,
- Improper washing or drying,
- Prolonged exposure to a large point weight on the surface.
What to do if the carpet is kinked?
- Spread the rug on a flat, horizontal surface and let it rest. This may take a couple of days. If the corners of the carpet curl upward, fold them down accordingly. Remember that certain carpets take much longer to “self-heal”. If this step does not solve the problem, then proceed to the next step.
- Try rolling the rug in the opposite direction and letting it sit for a while. If your carpet is made of synthetic materials, you can pre-moisten it with warm water and only then roll it up. This method is contraindicated for carpets with an adhesive base.
- Spread the rug on the floor and place a heavy object in place of the crease, after pulling the product slightly. This can be a flower pot, a heavy bag or briefcase, a board with a load, etc.
- Use a household garment steamer to remove creases from your carpet. The most important thing is not to overdo it and do not steam the product, so as not to spoil it.
- If you can place your rug in direct sunlight, be sure to do so. Heat should smoothen the hallway, but some materials do not tolerate sunlight well, as it promotes fading, so be careful.
Carpet Care Tips
- Vacuum your carpet regularly and dry clean it as needed.
- You should not walk in street shoes on the carpet, so as not to provoke premature aging of the product, the formation of creases and pile laying.
- To prevent the carpet from slipping on the surface, use additional devices, for example, anti-slip rubber mats and underlays.
- When transporting, the carpet should be rolled up and not folded in half several times. This will prevent the formation of creases on the surface of the product.
How to restore dented pile on a carpet?
Quite often, when creases occur and even after they have been removed, the pile at the crease site remains dented. In such a situation, it is necessary to act. A defect can also occur when heavy furniture is on the carpet for a long time, as well as when the product is used for a long time.
What to do to restore the lint?
- Apply a steamer or iron steam to the area with dented lint to soften the lint.
- Take a stiff brush and comb the product thoroughly.
- Dry the steamed area.
If you use all of the above methods, you will probably be able to achieve good results. Your carpet will become a full-fledged member of the interior, sparkle with new colors, and you will finally stop paying attention to the hall and will be able to fully enjoy its beauty.
How to remove dents in carpet?
The choice of how to treat your carpet depends on the tools at hand. Their effectiveness differs depending on the pile material and the nature and degree of wrinkle. Short pile carpets are easy to repair if too heavy objects have not destroyed the pile structure. The same applies to natural embossed carpets that practically do not wrinkle. Their surface has to be leveled only after exposure to heavy furniture with thin legs.
You can remove a dent on a carpet in the following ways:
- With ice cubes. This simple and effective method should be carefully applied to viscose carpets. Their fibers lose their shape and stretch when exposed to moisture. Its essence is to prepare ice cubes in the freezer and put them on the traces of furniture legs. The ice should be left alone until it gradually turns into water. After that, the carpet (especially viscose) must be thoroughly dried. After the ice has melted, remove the water with a clean cloth or paper towel. You can also use napkins or even toilet paper. The bottom line is that melting ice gradually wets the pile, softening it. Next comes an impromptu table-fork comb, perfect for combing wet, soft bristles. After that, all that remains is to thoroughly dry the carpet. This is done with a vacuum cleaner.
- Wet towel and iron. Another way to gradually dampen the carpet is to lay a wet towel on top of it. Dampen a towel, wring it out thoroughly and place it on the marks left by the furniture. Before laying, make sure that the fabric is not too wet – excess moisture will only damage. Then steam the damaged area with an iron. After completing the procedure, the towel should lie on the carpet for another hour or two so that the remaining water soaks the pile.
- Steam mop and spoon. Steam the furniture mark and iron thoroughly with a spoon or similar metal object. The pile will return to its previous shape. Those who do not know how to straighten a dent on a viscose carpet should be advised this method.
How to arrange furniture on a carpet
In order not to think about how best to remove dents on the carpet from furniture, use one of the three main placement methods:
- Two legs. The most popular arrangement of sofas and beds, in which no more than half of its area goes onto the carpet. This creates the effect of combining interior items around the central element.
- Four legs. It is used when the carpet occupies almost 100% of the room area. In this case, the furniture is arranged in no particular order. Typically, this placement assumes a 40-centimeter indent of the edge of the carpet from the walls.
- Zero legs. A way that won’t leave any marks on furniture and guaranteed to preserve your carpet.
Can rug dents be avoided?
You can avoid crushing the pile and preserve the original appearance of a long-pile carpet with furniture with thin legs. It does not leave noticeable marks in the pile. In ideal conditions, it is worth using the “zero legs” method.
Rahul Saklani was born in 1995 in India, Chandigarh. Growing up, he was fascinated with reading, and this interest led to some early exposure to writing since he was drawn to stories related to mythology. Later, Mr. Rahul, who now works as Marketing head at Digital leap marketing solutions.