“The Hunt” writer & producer defends film ahead of its release

Photo: YouTube | FilmSelect Trailers

Universal Studios has set an official release date for one of last year’s most controversial films, “The Hunt.” Prior to this, the film was held off indefinitely in the wake of violent shootings in the United States. “The Hunt” was widely criticized for its plotline of liberal “elites” hunting conservatives for sport in Republican-dominated states.

The satirical thriller’s producer Jason Blum and co-writer Damon Lindelof is defending the Blumhouse film from the slew of critics that have expressed firm disapproval against it. The two claim that there is no bias towards Trump supporters displayed in the film and it does not promote violence.

“This is not a dangerous movie,” Lindelof told Variety in an interview ahead of the film’s March 13 release. “This is not a provocative movie. This is not a divisive movie.”

Blum revealed that the decision to cancel the film’s initial 2019 release date was a decision made by “all of us” behind the production. However, he says that they did not intend to keep The Hunt unreleased explaining that “We wanted to take it off the schedule so there could be time to process things and reintroduce the film to the world.”

He then addressed the alleged political bias in the film’s premise saying “the movie is 100% satire and pokes fun at both sides equally.”

“The movie that was being presented was slanted, and we didn’t perceive it that way,” Lindelof added.

When asked about the United States President Donald Trump’s previous reaction to the film, Blum and Lindelof expressed their hopes that the president will actually see The Hunt and react to it differently.