Prosecutors from the United States said on Monday that Prince Andrew has provided “zero” cooperation in an inquiry regarding Jeffrey Epstein’s sex trafficking case. The British royal initially made promises to aid in investigations in any way possible but has now refused to cooperate, according to, US attorney for the southern district of New York Geoffrey Berman.
Berman said at a press conference that agencies are trying to get in touch with the Duke of York for an interview but he has yet agreed to one. The Guardian reports that he will not be forced to testify, which means it is possible that Andrew won’t have to answer queries about his relationship with Epstein.
The 59-year-old son of Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip suspended his public duties as a member of the British royal family indefinitely. Buckingham Palace announced the news in November last year after he was criticized for a BBC interview about his close friendship with Epstein. Andrew said at the time that he was “willing to help any appropriate law enforcement agency with their investigations if required.”
Federal prosecutors and the FBI intended to interview the prince in a probe looking into the late financier’s potential co-conspirators.
Multiple news outlets report that requests for comments have been turned down by the Buckingham Palace and the matter will instead be dealt with by Prince Andrew’s legal representatives.
Prince Andrew is known to be one of Epstein’s close companions. The latter was arrested in July last year for sex trafficking minors. He was found dead the next month in his jail cell with medical examiner ruling the cause of his death as a suicide.