ESL online schools or English as a second language online schools help non-native English learners to study and refine their English skills. These schools offer great convenience to non-English speaking individuals.
Because ESL online schools are based on the internet, then students can study at home, office, school, or wherever there is internet connection. Students do not need to go to classrooms just to study. ESL online schools allow students to save time and use this time doing other tasks. It’s also helpful for those who work full-time, who don’t need to leave the office early or miss important meetings. It’s also helpful for those who may not be able to leave the house, due to transport problems or isolation. For those who study at school, they do not need to go to an ESL classroom that may be far away.
Students have the autonomy of when to study
ESL online schools give students the power to decide when and when not to have lessons.
- They allow students to select what day and time to study.
- The power to decide allows students to arrange their schedules freely.
- Those who have plenty of time can schedule learning sessions in advance.
- Provides students with the flexibility to quickly book sessions when they suddenly have some free time
- Those who have little time can take sessions for a few minutes.
- Those who have no time can cancel or reschedule sessions.
- Online English tutors do not scold students for missing, cancelling, re-scheduling or taking the sessions late.
- Tutors understand that students have the power to decide when and when not to study in ESL online schools.
Low costs and affordable
The fees required for tuition at ESL online schools are usually much lower than traditional schools. This is because ESL online schools have low operating costs. They pass on their operational savings to students in the form of low tuition fees.ESL online schools do not pay teachers to go to school. Instead, teachers and students discuss online. They do not rent classroom spaces: the internet is the classroom. They do not give out printed materials like notes, lectures, and assignments. All study materials can be accessed on the internet.
Basically, the low operating and turnover costs are passed onto the students in the form of cheaper education fees. The low costs of ESL online schools does not mean that they offer low quality of education. In fact, most ESL online schools have professionally prepared educational materials and the tutors are qualified to teach.
Wide range of subject areas and tutorial arrangements
ESL online schools offer a wide variety of tutorials in English. These tutorials may include grammar, conversations, vocabulary, sentence construction, picture descriptions, business English, TOEIC, TOEFL, article discussions, as well as question and answers. Generally, these help learners develop their speaking, listening, reading, and writing skills for the English language.
Lesson materials are made according to the different skills of learners enrolled in ESL online schools. They are divided into levels of difficulty: beginner, intermediate, advanced, and masters.
- Beginner levels teach the basics of English.
- Intermediate levels teach learners the rules of English.
- Advanced levels teach learners practical applications of the language.
- Masters levels enhance the English skills of those already adept at speaking and writing in English
The educational materials may be given to students ahead of the lessons so students can prepare. Students can access, download or purchase the educational materials online or from the ESL online schools.
High quality tutors and teachers
Most ESL online schools have a good selection of great ESL teachers.
- Many of these teachers are certified to teach English as a foreign language.
- Some have earned English or education degrees at university
- Many received English-based education for more than 12 years, giving them practical abilities to teach the language.
- Tutor applicants at ESL online schools are screened for their abilities to explain English rules, words, expressions, and sentences before being accepted as tutors.
- Once accepted, they are continually reminded to be patient and supportive of their students.
ESL online schools monitor the performances of their tutors through customer feedback. Learners can grade their tutors according to abilities, attitude, passion for teaching, sound quality, and even stability of internet connection. Tutors use the feedback grades to help themselves improve.
Clearly, the benefits of ESL online schools are plenty. They allow students to master English at the convenience of their place, by following their own time, and paying reasonable rates for learning. Because of such advantages, ESL online schools are here to stay.
Juan Koss, M.A., is an educational speech-language pathologist in Sydney, where He has helped with writing any papers, science journals and worked with students from early childhood through 12th grade. He has provided services to speech- and language-impaired adults and children in a variety of medical and educational settings over the last 23 years.